The Architectural Review Commission (ARC) consists of seven (7) members who reside in the Village of Barrington and are appointed by the Village President. The ARC is responsible for reviewing all exterior modifications to buildings located in the Historic Preservation Overlay District as well as all nonresidential properties Village wide. Properties in the Historical Preservation Overlay District require a Certificate of Appropriateness and nonresidential properties outside of the Historic Preservation Overlay District require a Certificate of Approval. The process and requirements for Certificates of Appropriateness are listed below.
Certificate of Appropriateness
A Certificate of Appropriateness is issued by the Architectural Review Commission or Zoning Official indicating review and authorization of plans for alteration, construction, demolition or relocation of a structure or property within the Historic Preservation Overlay District. A Certificate of Appropriateness is applicable only to properties located in the Historic Preservation Overlay District. A Certificate of Appropriateness is required for the following:
- Substantial exterior alteration of or an addition to a contributing structure or site
- Substantial exterior alteration of or an addition to a non-contributing structure or site
- Window replacement
- New construction of a primary or accessory structure
- Relocation of contributing structure or site
- Demolition of contributing structure or site
- Applications for administrative approval referred by the Zoning Official
- Appeal of administrative decisions by the Applicant
Certificate of Approval
A Certificate of Approval applies to multiple family residential and non-residential projects outside of the Historic Preservation Overlay District. A Certificate of Approval is issued by the Village Board of Trustee based on a recommendation from the Architectural Review Commission.
ARC Submittal Process
ARC Submittal Process
The ARC process takes approximately 8-10 weeks. All applicants are required to attend two (2) meetings, a preliminary review and a public hearing. The chart below indicates the submittal deadlines for preliminary reviews and public hearings in 2014. all applicants are required to meet with Staff to discuss their proposal, submittal requirements and timeline prior to submitting an application. The process is outlined below:
- Step 1: Contact Jennifer Tennant, Assistant Director of Development Services, to schedule a meeting to discuss the scope, submittal requirements and timeline for your proposed project.
- Step 2: At this meeting, Staff will provide a timeline for the ARC process. If you do not meet the submittal deadline, your project will be rescheduled to the next available ARC agenda. Please be advised that applications are processed in the order they are received and meeting agendas can become full. During busy times, it may be advantageous to submit your application in advance of the submittal deadline.
- Step 3: Submit plans for preliminary review meeting (deadlines listed below)
- Step 4: Attend preliminary review meeting with Architectural Review Commission to discuss your proposed project.
- Step 5: Following the preliminary review meeting, Staff will provide you with any recommendations or conditions discussed by the Commission at the preliminary review meeting. All recommendations and conditions should be addressed and revised as necessary for the public hearing submittal.
- Step 6: Submit required documents for public hearing meeting (deadlines listed below)
- Step 7: Attend Public Hearing meeting with Architectural Review Commission for final approval for your proposed project.
- Step 8: Once final approval has been granted, apply for and obtain a Construction Permit. This process may take up to two weeks depending on the time of year and type of project.
|ARC Public Hearing
|ARC Meeting Dates|
||Mon. 12/18/2017||Thurs. 1/11/2018|
|Mon. 1/15/2018||Mon. 1/2/2018||Thurs. 1/25/2018|
|Mon. 1/29/2018||Mon. 1/15/2018||Thurs. 2/8/2018|
|Mon. 2/12/2018||Mon. 1/29/2018||Thurs. 2/22/2018|
|Mon.3/5/2018||Mon. 2/18/2018||Thurs. 3/15/2018|
|Mon. 4/2/2018||Mon. 3/19/2018||Thurs. 4/12/2018|
|Mon. 4/16/2018||Mon. 4/2/2018||Thurs. 4/26/2018|
|Mon.4/30/2018||Mon. 4/16/2018||Thurs. 5/10/2018|
|Mon. 5/14/2018||Mon. 4/30/2018||Thurs. 5/24/2018|
|Mon.6/4/2018||Mon. 5/21/2018||Thurs. 6/14/2018|
|Mon. 6/18/2018||Mon.6/4/2018||Thurs. 6/28/2018|
|Tues. 7/2/2018||Mon. 6/18/2018||Thurs. 7/12/2018|
|Mon. 7/16/2018||Tues. 7/2/2018||Thurs. 7/26/2018|
|Mon. 7/30/2018||Mon. 7/16/2018||Thurs. 8/9/2018|
|Mon. 8/13/2018||Mon.7/30/2018||Thurs. 8/23/2018|
|Tues. 9/4/2018||Mon. 8/20/2018||Thurs. 9/13/2018|
|Mon. 9/17/2018||Tues. 9/4/2018||Thurs. 9/27/2018|
|Mon. 10/1/2018||Mon. 9/17/2018||Thurs. 10/11/2018|
|Mon. 10/15/2018||Mon. 10/1/2018||Thurs. 10/25/2018|
|Mon. 11/5/2018||Mon. 10/22/2018||Thurs. 11/15/2018|
|Mon. 12/3/2018||Mon. 11/19/2018||Thurs. 12/13/2018|
Documents and Forms
The following documents and forms will provided to you during your initial meeting with Staff.
Petitioner's Checklist - Preliminary Review (Historic District Projects)
Petitioner's Checklist - Public Hearing (Historic District Projects)