200 S. Hough Street  Barrington, IL 60010 | (847) 304-3400

Home » About » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Chipper: Schedule - When will the chipper be in my neighborhood?

The Chipper is scheduled for pick up 3 times a year: January, May, and October. Please check the Village Newsletter or this website for specific dates.

Groot will take:

Tree limbs, branches, or brush cut to no more than 5 feet in length and placed in the yard waste container. Any brush or branches outside of the container must be cut down to 5 feet in length and bundled (use only twine or string) no greater than 2 feet in diameter.

Chipper: Acceptable Materials - What can we put out for the chipper?

The chipper can accept tree branches up to 10 inches in diameter and at least 4 feet in length – remember, the chipper is designed to process large amounts of wood; therefore, the longer the better. Stack branches neatly in a long low pile on the parkway, with the cut end facing the curb. Remember, Public Works crews cannot pick up material on private property. The following items cannot be picked up: root balls & stumps; building materials; anything with nails, wire, bolts, or other foreign material. We cannot chip timbers or fencing; wreaths; or holiday trees with lights, decorations, or in bags. We also cannot chip grass, leaves, or any material placed in a box or garbage can. The chipper is not designed to process small plant material such as clippings from hedge trimmers or small branches under 2″ in diameter or root balls from dug up plants (this material should be placed in your “Green Monster”). If you have chipping questions, please call the Village at (847) 381-7903.

Groot will take:

Tree limbs, branches, or brush cut to no more than 5 feet in length and placed in the yard waste container. Any brush or branches outside of the container must be cut down to 5 feet in length and bundled (use only twine or string) no greater than 2 feet in diameter.

Economic Development

Who do I talk to about opening a business in Barrington?

If you are Interested in opening a business in Barrington, please contact Development Services at (847) 304-3460 to set up a meeting. We will provide important information on zoning, signage, and business assistance programs, to help you with your business plan.

I am interested in developing a commercial property in the Village. Who should I contact?

You should contact the Development Services Department at (847) 304-3460 to schedule a meeting to discuss the property and determine the appropriate development process.


What are the requirements for residential fences?

Fences may not exceed six (6) feet in height in the rear and side yards or three (3) feet in height in corner-side yards and front yards.  Fences must be constructed of wood, brick, stone wrought iron or other similar decorative material. Fences in front and corner-side yards must be a minimum of 33% open.  A permit is required for all fence installations.  For specific questions, call the Village at (847) 304-3400 and ask to speak with the Zoning Coordinator.

Are fences allowed?

Fences are permitted in the Village of Barrington; however, please check with your homeowners association to verify if fences are allowed in your subdivision.

How do I request a citation review form to contest a ticket?

Submit a Citation Review Request form to contest a ticket.

Leaf Bags

Where can I purchase leaf bags?

Leaf bags are also commonly available at many area grocery and hardware stores.

Parking: Overnight - Can I park overnight on a Village street if it isn't posted?

No; overnight parking is not allowed on ANY Village street between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m., every day.  This rule is posted on signs at every entrance into the Village, but not necessarily on every street inside the Village.

Permits: Garage Sale - Do I need a permit to hold a garage sale?

Yes.  A permit is required for all garage sales.  Garage sales may only be held on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.  Except for corner lots, only one sign is permitted per garage sale, and the sign must be located on the property where the sale is taking place.  Corner lots may have one sign on each frontage. If more than one sign is displayed, or if signs are located on the parkway or displayed without a permit, Village personnel may remove them. They are typically kept at Public Works for several days prior to being disposed of.

Permits: Building Permit - What type of work requires a building permit?

A building permit is required for any interior work that involves structural, electrical or plumbing alterations. A permit is also required for most types of exterior work, including roofing, siding or windows, driveways, fences, decks, patios, porches, walkways, trellises, arbors, outdoor fire pits or fireplaces, playground equipment, dog runs, sheds, detached garages, screened porches, swimming pools and sport courts.  For specific questions, call the Village and ask to speak with a Building Inspector.

Reverse 9-1-1

What is the Everbridge service?

Everbridge is the Village’s “reverse 9-1-1” or community notification service. This service allows the Village to rapidly disseminate time-sensitive messages to every telephone number stored in our notification database.  Only authorized Village officials are allowed access to the system.

What types of messages will be sent using Everbridge  service?

Everbridge will only be used to send messages regarding the safety or welfare of our community. Examples of such messages include severe weather warnings, hazardous local traffic or road conditions, and other situations that affect the welfare of our citizens.

Am I currently on the Everbridge notification list?

If you are listed in the phone book, or have signed up with Everbridge through the Village’s website, you should be listed in the notification system. If you have any questions, call the Village at (847) 304-3300.

Can I switch the number that Everbridge calls me at?

Yes. Please contact us at (847) 304-3300 to change the phone number in our notification database.

I am a non-resident property owner; what phone number should be listed in the notification database?

Non-resident property owners may provide an additional phone number for our database. In general, calls are sent to the primary number only, but we also have the ability to call multiple numbers when requested.  Please contact us at (847) 304-3300 to provide us with that information.

Is my personal information listed in Everbridge held confidential?

Yes, Everbridge takes security and privacy concerns very seriously and does not sell, trade, lease or loan any client data to any third parties. Privacy is also protected through the use of several layers of firewalls and secure transmission.

Will the Everbridge service call numbers not in the (847) area code?

Yes.  The area code does not impact whether or not a call is made.

How does the Everbridge system handle busy signals or no-answer situations?

For busy signals, the call will be repeated several times in an attempt to reach you.  The same is true for no-answer and call waiting.  If the phone is answered by a message recorder, the message will be left on the answering device.  If, after several attempts the call does not successfully go through, the system will stop attempting to call.

Will the Everbridge service work if I have a call screening system on my phone?

There are several varieties of call screening devices which use differing protocols for screening.  In general, the system has been found to work with these devices; but, some may require some type of pre-programming to allow our town’s telephone number to pass through.  We may conduct periodic test to assure that messages are being delivered to numbers in the notification database.

What time is curfew?

Curfew for people less than seventeen (17) years of age is at 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 12:00 midnight Friday and Saturday. For drivers under the age of 18, nighttime driving is restricted to 10:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 11:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday.  On all days, curfew ends at 6:00 a.m.

How do I sign-up, cancel or modify my information on the Village community notification system?

To sign-up, cancel or modify your information in the Village’s community notification system, please click here

Where to Recycle Household Chemicals or Hazardous Waste

Where can I recycle used oil, antifreeze, batteries, and old tires?
For the latest information on recycling sites, please visit the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County at www.swancc.org, or the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County at www.swalco.org.

Does the Village offer training in CPR and AED?

Yes. Please visit the Fire Department Programs & Services page for details.

What are the regulations for political signs?
  • Political signage is permitted on private property with the permission of the property owner.
  • Political signage is NOT permitted within the public right-of-way. 
  • Right-of-way width varies throughout the Village and is most accurately depicted on your plat of survey. However, the general guidelines below can assist in placement of signage on private property:
    •  If you live in an area with sidewalks, generally signage should be placed at least 2-feet behind the sidewalk. 
    • If you live in an area without sidewalks, placing signage at least 20-feet from the edge of the road is generally adequate to ensure it is placed on private property. 
    • (Please note that these are general guidelines that should apply to the majority of situations in the Village, however, if a sign does not meet these dimensions, compliance with placement on private property would need to be evaluated individually by public works.)
  • While the Village does have Zoning regulations on sign size/area, the Village’s priority is ensuring freedom of speech. 
Snow Piled at End of Driveway

Large piles of snow end up at the end of my driveway after I just shoveled it out, can Public Works come out again and clean out the end of my driveway?

We often receive requests from residents to clear snow that has been plowed from the street onto their freshly-shoveled driveways. Because there are more than 3,800 driveways in the Village, we just don’t have enough equipment and personnel to fulfill these requests. We recommend waiting until the street has been plowed from curb to curb before clearing your driveway. Though you still end up clearing the snow that is plowed from the street onto your driveway, you only have to do it once.

Length of Time to Clear Snow

How long does it take Village crews to clear snow and ice from Village Streets?

Our goal is to clear snow and ice from all Village streets within 24 hours after the snow has stopped falling.

Responsibility for Snow on Residential Sidewalks

Do I have to shovel the snow on the public walk in front of my house?

Yes, the Village Code requires all residential property owners to clear the snow and ice from the public walks abutting their property within 24 hours of the conclusion of the snow event. Your assistance in keeping the public walk clear is greatly appreciated!

Snow Plowing in the Commuter Lot

Will I be able to get my car out of the commuter lot if it snows while I am at work?

When snowstorms hit during business hours, our crews plow and salt the exit lanes from the commuter lots. Unfortunately, our crews cannot clear snow around individual cars. After cars have left the parking area, remaining snow and ice is removed from the lots.

Cost of Snow Removal for Taxpayers

How much does snow and ice control cost the taxpayers?

The cost of snow and ice control varies depending on the conditions each winter. Records kept over the past years show that we spend approximately $100,000 on snow and ice control during a typical winter. We are constantly striving to improve our methods, materials and equipment, to provide the most efficient and economical snow and ice control possible.

Snowplow Damage to Mailbox and Parkway/ Lawn

The snowplow damaged my mailbox and the lawn in the parkway. Will the Village repair the damage?

If your mailbox is damaged by Village crews during snow removal operations, please click here to create a service request or call us, at (847) 381-7903. Within 24 hours of notification, the Village will perform emergency temporary repairs on any mailbox verified to have been damaged by the Village. Permanent repairs will be made when weather permits. Lawn damage will be repaired in early spring when the weather permits.

Snow Plowing and Salt Use

Why does the Village use so much salt on the roads? It rusts my car.

Historically, a mixture of salt and calcium chloride has proven to be the most effective and economical means of ice control. However, we are constantly striving to improve our methods, materials and equipment, to provide the most efficient and economical snow and ice control possible. For example, we now supplement normal salting operations by utilizing liquid de-icing material, which is a mixture of salt brine, calcium chloride, and “Geomelt”, an organic de-icing compound derived from sugar beets. Use of this mixture reduces costs significantly, is more environmentally friendly, reduces wear and tear on vehicles.

Snow Removal: Parking Restrictions
May I park my car on the street when it snows?
No, on-street parking is not generally permitted until snow removal operations have been completed. This applies whenever there is an accumulation of 2 inches or more of snow. However, in the Central Business District, you may park on the street until 1:00 a.m. Also, please remember that regardless of snowfall, on-street parking is always prohibited between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
When to Expect Snow Plowing

The snow plow has not been down my street yet. Why not?

Our goal is to clear the snow and ice from all Village streets within 24 hours after the snow has stopped falling. In order to do this, the Village is divided into four snow plow routes, to provide timely plowing of all Village streets. In each route, the streets are designated (and prioritized) as either emergency routes, school routes, side streets, cul-de-sacs or alleys. Depending upon snow fall duration, expected hourly accumulations, and time of day, crews may make changes in their assigned routes, to keep the emergency and school routes open before starting on the side streets, cul-de-sacs and alleys. During heavy snow fall events, a fifth plowing route is created, which designates a plow that stays on emergency and school routes, so that the other plows may continue to open the side streets, cul-de-sacs and alleys.

Citizen Help During Snow Emergency

During a snow storm, what can I do to help?

Thank you for asking! There are a number of things you can do to help. Please park your car in your driveway, not on the street, if there is more than a two-inch accumulation of snow. Please do not put garbage cans in roadway as this creates a hazardous condition for snow plows and residents. Containers should be placed on the driveway or parkway. Keep any fire hydrants near your property free of snow so that they will be ready for us in an emergency. Keep your sidewalks free of ice and snow. Please, also remember to periodically check on neighbors who may need assistance.

Streets: Plowing Responsibility

What roads/streets does the Village plow?

The Village clears snow and ice from over 50 miles of roads within the Village limits. State crews (IDOT) handle snow and ice on Route 14 (Northwest Highway), Ela Road, Barrington Road and portions of Route 59 (Hough Street) and Lake-Cook Road (Main Street) outside the Village limits.

Responsibility for Snow on Commercial Sidewalks
Do I have to shovel the snow on the public walk in front of my business?
Yes, the Village Code requires all commercial property owners to clear the snow and ice from the public walks abutting their property. Snow must be cleared within 3 hours of the conclusion of the snow event of 2″ or greater during business hours, or by 10:00 AM the following day during non business hours and on weekends. Your assistance in keeping the public walk clear is greatly appreciated!
Road Conditions Information
Where can I call to get information about road conditions?
If you must travel during a storm and want information about road conditions, call: Illinois Department of Transportation at (847) 705-4612; Illinois Tollway Information at (800) 865-5394; or Weather Information at (800) 452-4368.
Emergency During Snow Storm
If we have an emergency during a snowstorm, how can a fire engine or ambulance get to my home?
If you have a life safety emergency, dial 9-1-1. An emergency vehicle and a snowplow, if necessary, will be dispatched immediately to your home.
Snow Storm Warnings
How does the Village know that a snow storm is coming?
A consulting meteorologist issues snow and ice warnings and recommendations to the Village.


What is the Village Code regarding discharging stormwater from roof down spouts or sump pumps?

Gutter, downspout and sump pump discharge allowable.

Roof spouts or sumps pumps should discharge onto your lawn no closer than the distance of the required side yard from your property line. The storm water run-off should not adversely affect your neighbor’s property or the Village sidewalk or street.

Stormwater Collecting Due to Neighbor's Projects

My neighbor has put on an addition/ re-graded and landscaped his backyard.  Now, I have storm water ponding in my yard which I did not have before.  What can the Village do about this?

Call the Village at (847) 304-3460 to see if a permit was issued for the work.  If there was a permit, we will be out to inspect the work to verify that it has been done properly.  If no permit was issued, the neighboring property will be required to rectify the condition.

Street Cleaning

Streets: Sweeping - When will the street sweeper clean the streets in my neighborhood?

Street sweeping season begins the first week of April. Each neighborhood will be swept once per month during the months of April, May, June, July, August, and September. Starting in October, streets will be swept, as needed to remove leaves and debris. This continues as long as weather permits. In addition, the downtown is swept every Friday morning (4am – 7am) from April 1st until mid to late November, or as long as weather permits.

Street Construction 

Street Improvements: This Year's Plan

What street improvements are planned for this year?

For information on this year’s “Road Program” call the Engineering & Building Department at (847) 304-3460.

Street Improvements: Parkway Vegetation Replacement

Will the Village remove and replace my flowers and landscaping in the parkway if they are damaged during street improvements?

Replacement of parkway trees is taken care of by the Village. If you wish to protect other parkway vegetation, we ask that you remove it from the parkway prior to construction. We will notify you before construction starts, typically several weeks ahead of time. If you have additional questions, please call Development Services at (847) 304-3460.

Street Improvements: Garbage Collection
Where do I place my garbage containers for pick-up when my street is under construction?

Place the containers in the same place you usually put them. The road contractor will accommodate the garbage collectors on your pick-up day

Street Improvements: Garbage Collection
Where do I place my garbage containers for pick-up when my street is under construction?
Place the containers in the same place you usually put them. The road contractor will accommodate the garbage collectors on your pick-up day.
Street Improvements Planned

What road work or street improvements are planned for this year?A list of the roads that will be worked on each season can be found on the Village’s website under the Engineering & Building department page or you can call us at (847) 304-3460.

Relocation of Vegetation During Street Improvements

After construction is complete, will the Village replace my flowers and landscaping that was in the parkway prior to construction?

We request that residents relocate all vegetation that they wish to protect from the parkway prior to construction.  Letters notifying residents of the pending work are typically sent out several times before construction starts.  The Village will replace seed and sod only.  Sprinkler systems and invisible dog fences are not permitted in the parkway and therefore will not be replaced if damaged during street improvements or other Village construction projects.

Mail Delivery During Street Construction

Will I still get mail delivery during street construction?

Yes, mail delivery will continue during street construction. If the street is completely reconstructed, a temporary mailbox will be placed outside the construction zone, at a location designated by the Post Office. You will be notified ahead of time regarding the location of the temporary mailbox. In any case, any mailbox that is removed for street construction will be replaced in conformance with U.S. Postal regulations. If you have questions about your mail delivery, please call the Barrington Post Office at (847) 381-0510. If you have questions regarding street construction, please call (847) 304-3460.

Traffic Signals

Traffic Signal: Problem

Who do I call to report problems with a traffic signal?

To report traffic signal problems, click here to create a service request or call the Police Department at (847) 304-3300. Please try to provide enough detail to accurately identify the location of and the exact problem with the signal.


Trees: Preservation Requirements

What are my responsibilities regarding tree protection and tree preservation when building or adding on to my home?

During construction, you are required to protect any neighboring and parkway trees that could be affected. The tree protection plan must be reviewed and approved by the Village. In addition, if you live in Lakeview, Chateaux Bourne, or Carriage Trail, you must also protect the trees on your own property. If you are contemplating construction, please contact the Village at (847) 381-7903 so that we can further explain tree preservation requirements.

Trees: Parkway Tree Trimming
Will the Village trim my parkway tree?
The Village trims parkway trees within each neighborhood or area once every 4 to 6 years. If you feel your parkway tree needs trimming, please click here to create a service request or contact us at (847) 381-7903.
Trees: Parkway Planting
Can I plant a tree in the parkway?
Yes.  Please click here for the application and more information.

Village Vehicles 

Used Village Vehicles

What does the Village do with their used vehicles?

Village vehicles are typically sold through GovDeals.com auction site. Contact us at (847) 381-7903 for additional information on dates and locations of upcoming auctions.

Water & Sewer 

Yard/ Parkway/ Driveway Restoration

We had a water main break in my yard/parkway/driveway. When will restoration occur?

Many factors affect the restoration of the parkway, such as the time of year that the excavation was made, availability of dry topsoil, and availability of hot asphalt for driveway repairs, etc. Every effort will be made to have the repairs completed in a timely fashion. For excavations made in the winter, final restoration is completed in the spring. For non-winter excavations, final restoration generally occurs within 8 to 10 weeks. This provides time for the newly backfilled soil to settle, which is necessary to perform proper repairs.  To notify the Village of repairs that need to be completed, please click here to create a service request.

Water: Line Repair/ Replacement Responsibility

Who is responsible for repair or replacement of water lines

Repair: The Village is responsible for repairing the water service from the connection at the water main to the underground shut-off valve (“B-box”), usually located in the parkway, driveway, or in the street. The property owner is responsible for repairing the service line from the B-box to the building.

Replacement: The Village is responsible for the routine replacement of the water service from the connection at the water main to the B-box. If you are upgrading your service as part of a remodeling project, then you are responsible for this work. For more specific information, please contact Public Works at (847) 381-7903.

Sewer Backup
My sewer has backed up in my basement. What should I do?
If possible, call the Village at (847) 381-7903 before you call a plumber. At no charge to you, we will determine if there is a problem with our sanitary sewer main. If there is, you may not need to hire a plumber to perform repairs. If the problem is in your service lateral, then you will need to hire a licensed plumber to perform repairs.
Sewer Repair/ Replacement Responsibility
Who is responsible for repair or replacement of sanitary sewer lines?
The Village is responsible for the sanitary sewer main and the service connection at the main, which is typically located in the street or parkway. Property owners are responsible for the lateral service line, from the service connection at the main to the building.
Sod or Grass Seed Replacement

When you repair my parkway/yard, can you replace it with sod, instead of grass seed?

The Village uses high quality grass seed to repair all excavations in lawn areas. Grass seed provides a thicker, more drought-resistant lawn than sod. If there are areas of the seed that do not fill in, we will return to re-seed those areas.

Overhead Sewer/ Flood Control Program

Does the Village have a program for an overhead sewer/flood control?

The Village of Barrington has a cost share program for installation of overhead sewers. Please contact the Village at (847) 381-7903 for information regarding this program.

Water Supply

Water: Source/ Lake Michigan
Why doesn’t the Village have Lake Michigan water?
The Village has investigated the possibility of obtaining Lake Michigan water, but due to the high costs associated with the process and not meeting State eligibility requirements, it has not been feasible to obtain Lake Michigan water.
Water: Source
Where does the Village’s drinking water supply come from?
We obtain water from four shallow wells located throughout the Village. It is then treated and distributed in our water supply system.
Water: Rusty Water
Why is my water rusty during hydrant flushing?
Fire hydrant flushing removes a considerable amount of the loose mineral contents and settled solids that accumulate in the water system. During hydrant flushing, the water system becomes stirred up and your water may appear rusty. Although it is safe to drink, it is best to not wash clothes until the water runs clear. To clarify the water, open the outside spigot or run the water in the utility sink until the water runs clear. The Villages flushes hydrants yearly each spring. Please check our website for schedule information.
Low Water Pressure
I am experiencing low water pressure in my home/business. What should I do?
Start by checking and cleaning faucet screens for sediment that might have built up. You can also try setting your water softener in bypass mode to see if the water pressure increases. If pressure returns to normal, you will probably need to have your water softener serviced. If your water pressure is still low once softener has been placed in bypass mode, click here to create a service request or contact the Village at (847) 381-7903 to schedule an appointment for one of our meter technicians to check your water meter.
Water: Hardness
What is the hardness and iron content of Village water?
The hardness of the water is 25 grains/gallon or about 400 mg/l as Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3). Iron content is less than 0.2 mg/l which is below the IEPA and USEPA minimum recommendation of 0.3 mg/l.
Water: Shutting off

I have a water leak in my house. How do I turn off the water?

All homes in the Village have a shut-off valve on the water line close to the point where it enters the house. This shut-off valve should be right next to the water meter, and is typically found in the basement or crawl space. If this valve does not work, and you need to shut off your water, click here to create a service request or call the Village at (847) 381-7903.

Water: Lead Concentration
How do I find out what the lead concentration is in my drinking water at home?
The Village tests our water for lead concentrations, and the supply from the water main does not have significant concentrations of lead. If you are concerned that your plumbing is adding lead to your water, there are companies that can test your water. The Village uses two State-certified laboratories for testing our water: Suburban Labs, (708) 544-3260 and PDC Laboratories, Inc, (815) 344-4044. You can contact these companies or other State-certified laboratories to arrange testing of your water.
Water Meter Shut-off Valve

I need to replace the shut-off valve by my water meter. Who is responsible for this repair?

The Village owns and maintains the meter; however, you are responsible for repairs or replacement of the shutoff valves on both sides of the meter. Please click here to create a service request or contact us at (847) 381-7903, at least 48 hours in advance of planned repairs, so we can make sure the outside water shutoff (B-box) is functioning properly.

Lead Water Service

I have an old lead water service in my home. Is the water safe to drink?

Yes, the water is safe to drink. For further information, please visit the U.S. EPA website.

Wood Chips

Wood Chips
Where can I get wood chips for my home landscaping?
Wood chips are available for Village Residents only from May through October at the Public Works facility located at 300 North Raymond Avenue. You will need to bring your own shovel and containers for the material.


Zoning Districts and Permitted Uses
What Zoning District is my property in and what types of uses are permitted/ prohibited?
Call the Village at (847) 304-3460 to speak with a Zoning Coordinator for this information.  You may also contact us at vobeb@barrington-il.gov