Billing Rates for Water & Utility Services
Your Village of Barrington utility bill includes charges for water, sewer, and recycling & refuse services. The Village operates these services as enterprise activities which means that our customers are charged an amount that is sufficient to support the operations of the service, including infrastructure improvements. The charges for each service are set so that each service activity will break even on a perpetual basis. The following chart details the base charges and consumption rates effective January 1, 2023.
Water & Sewer Customer Service and Billing Information
Just moved to the Village? As a new resident or business, we realize you want to set up your new refuse, water and sewer service as quickly and easily as possible. Here’s what you need to do:
- Fill out the Utility Services Application.
- With a government-issued picture ID, come in to the Village Hall at 200 S. Hough Street, to set up your utility billing account. Sorry, but current federal rules designed to prevent identity theft make it necessary for you to set up this account in person, rather than online or on the phone. And please don’t forget to bring in your government-issued picture ID!
Moving out of your home in Barrington?
If you plan on terminating water service, here’s what you need to do:
- Fill out the Termination of Utility Services form.
- Return the form to Village Hall, 200 S. Hough Street, Barrington, IL 60010 or email to email@example.com.
How Water/Sewer Billing Works:
Residential and commercial customers are billed on a monthly basis, with the bill mailed on the last day of the month. Utility bill payments are due on the 20th of each month. If the bill is not paid by the 20th of the month, a 10% late charge is added to the amount due. If the bill is still unpaid by the 20th of the following month, a shut-off letter will be mailed and the water will be shut off for non-payment beginning the second Tuesday of the second month after the bill date. The utility billing customer must bring in full payment, plus a $50.00 administrative fee, to have the water service turned back on after a shut-off.
If you are having trouble paying your Village of Barrington utility bill, please call our office to discuss options and payment plans. We are happy to discuss your situation with you. Please call 847-304-3400.
Water Meter Reading:
All residences and businesses in the Village have a wireless water meter reading device installed on their meter. This device uses a cellular phone network to send water meter readings from the water meter to Village Hall. Meters that have not yet been replaced send readings twice per day. Meters that have been replaced send readings hourly.
Payment of Bill:
The following options are available for making utility bill payments:
- Direct Debit Program: This program allows for your utility bill payment to automatically be deducted from your checking account on the due date. A billing statement will be mailed to you providing the amount that will be deducted from your bank account. The due date on the bill is the date that the funds will automatically come out of your bank account and be applied to your utility billing account.
- Bank Bill Pay: Pay your bill with a service provided by your own bank. Please make sure you enter your correct account number to ensure proper application to your account since a payment stub is not included with the payment.
- Credit Card Payments: The Village of Barrington accepts on-line credit card payments for utility bills through the E-Pay system. There will be a convenience fee (based on the amount of your bill) charged for using this system. The fee is not charged nor collected by the Village of Barrington.
- Drop Box: For your convenience, a drive-up box is available in the Village Hall parking lot next to the USPS mailbox. Payments may be placed in the box for next day processing. Payments are picked up from the box at 8:00 a.m.
- Mail: Payments can be mailed to the Village of Barrington 200 S Hough Street, Barrington, IL 60010
- In Person: Payments can be made in person at Village Hall during normal business hours. Cash, checks and credit card payments are accepted. A convenience fee will be charged if the payment is made with a credit card. The fee is not charged nor collected by the Village of Barrington.
For more information on any of the payment options or questions about your water, sewer, and refuse services please contact the Utility Billing Clerk at (847) 304-3430. For security purposes, you will need to provide your name, account number and the service address of the account in order to obtain account information.
Services for Customers in Inverness and Barrington Hills
The Village of Barrington provides water and sewer services to portions of the Villages of Inverness and Barrington Hills. These services were established through an intergovernmental agreement between the Villages. These customers pay one-and-a-half times the Barrington resident rate, due to the additional infrastructure that we had to construct (and continue to maintain) to provide the service outside of the Village’s limits.
The Village will respond to a request for service within 24 hours of receiving the request. Please contact (847) 304-3400 to request service.