The Village of Barrington is always committed to delivering clean, safe and reliable water and wastewater services to you during the COVID-19 public health emergency. As buildings reopen, businesses, school districts and property management teams will begin the process of restarting building systems that have been dormant for a significant amount of time, making sure that water systems and equipment are in working order. Large building owners and operators are encouraged to adopt a proactive approach that includes proper flushing procedures, assuring the presence of disinfectant residuals, adjustment of hot water temperature, and proper maintenance of building plumbing and heating/cooling systems. Proper flushing of plumbing before reoccupying these buildings is essential and should be performed biweekly if possible and again the weekend before opening.
Click here for details on the safest way to reopen your building.
- Illinois Section of the American Water Works Association has prepared a guidance document through the Environmental Science, Policy & Research Institute (ESPRI)
- Purdue University Water Safety Study
- CDC Guidance for Opening Buildings After Prolonged Shutdown
- EPA 3Ts Flushing Best Practices
- American Water Works Association Tips
- EPA Information on Maintaining or Restoring Water Quality in Buildings with Low or No Use
- IDPH Guidance for Mainining Water Systems During Reduced Use