Street Snow Removal
The cost of snow and ice control varies depending on the conditions each winter. Records kept over the past years show that we spend approximately $100,000 on snow and ice control during a typical winter. We are constantly striving to improve our methods, materials and equipment, to provide the most efficient and economical snow and ice control possible.
Our goal is to clear the snow and ice from all Village streets within 24 hours after the snow has stopped falling. In order to do this, the Village is divided into four snow plow routes, to provide timely plowing of all Village streets. In each route, the streets are designated (and prioritized) as either emergency routes, school routes, side streets, cul-de-sacs or alleys.
Depending upon snow fall duration, expected hourly accumulations, and time of day, crews may make changes in their assigned routes, to keep the emergency and school routes open before starting on the side streets, cul-de-sacs and alleys.
Driveway and Sidewalk Snow Removal
DID YOU KNOW... that the Village Code requires all property owners to clear the snow and ice from the public walks abutting their property within 24 hours of the conclusion of the snow event? Your assistance in keeping the public walk clear is greatly appreciated!
TIMING IS EVERYTHING... We often receive requests from residents to clear snow that has been plowed from the street onto their freshly-shoveled driveways. Because there are more than 3,800 driveways in the Village, we just don't have enough equipment and personnel to fulfill these requests. We recommend waiting until the street has been plowed from curb to curb before clearing your driveway. Though you still end up clearing the snow that is plowed from the street onto your driveway, you only have to do it once.
If you have a life safety emergency during a storm, dial 9-1-1 at once. An emergency vehicle and a snowplow (if necessary) will be dispatched immediately.
If you must travel during a storm and want information about road conditions, call:
Illinois Department of Transportation
Illinois Tollway Information
The Village will repair/replace any damage done to mailboxes or lawns, due to Village snow removal operations. If your mailbox is damaged by Village crews during snow removal operations, please call us immediately, at (847) 381-7903. Within 24 hours of notification, the Village will perform emergency temporary repairs on any mailbox verified to have been damaged by the Village.
Things You Should Know
- Please make sure the public walk in front of your home or business is cleared. School children and other pedestrians are depending on you to maintain a safe, clear walkway for them.
- Please help out by clearing buried fire hydrants in front of your house.
- Please do not put garbage cans in the roadway, as this creates a hazardous condition for snow plowers and residents. Containers should be placed on the driveway or parkway.
- Please do not put garbage cans in roadway, as this creates a hazardous condition for snow plows and residents. Containers should be placed on the driveway or parkway.
- Remember, plows may still be clearing streets, so watch out for plows when shoveling the end of your driveway, or clearing the public walk or fire hydrants. Also, please remind your children to stay off snow mounds near the street.